Environmental Problems in Edo State
ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS IN EDO STATE
Edo State has been faced with the problem of erosion and environmental degradation resulting from:
- Development without adequate planning or provision of services,
- Heavy tropical rainfall
- Natural drainage routes obstructed with no space for green belts or pounding areas,
- Deep soils prone to severe erosion and blocked road drainages
- Historic moats overgrown and blocked,
Some causes of erosion in the state are:
- Drainage construction without studies and Master plans
- Uncoordinated implementation of infrastructure development (roads not integrating with drainage – working in silos)
- Inadequate budgetary provision
- Selective drainage construction and management rather than holistic approach
- Improper termination of drains and water course of major projects
- Deforestation through felling of trees and de-reservation
- Wrong methods of farming; bush burning, clean weeding, mono cropping, farm ridges along the slopes, use of heavy tractors to cultivate soil etc.
- Uncontrolled quarrying on hill slopes and improper closure of mined sites.
- Blocking of run-off routes such as drains and moats.
- Construction of inadequate (undersized) drains.
- Improper land use and non-adherence to land use regulations
- Absence of maintenance culture